COP28 has the power to make things happen despite the COP28 president saying there is ‘no science’ behind demands for the phase-out of fossil fuels (if it smells like climate denial, then it probably is straight up climate denial). To do this, we need to empower voices for climate action.
We’ve spoken to people at COP28 and it’s reassuring to hear that, away from the grand standing speeches, campaign groups are in the room representing people like us. Speaking out can and does make a difference! Information is being shared with people who would otherwise be hard to reach and money is being raised to fund climate change action.
Here are some ideas about how you can take action and speak out. Every voice counts.
- Sign the Fossil Fuel Non-proliferation Treaty – we have!!
- Sign petitions aligned to fighting climate change. Take a look at Oxfam’s Polluters Must Pay petition, or Kick Out Fossil Fuel Polluters From Future Climate Talks on 33 degrees petition. The latter is especially relevant given how many fossil fuel lobbyists are at COP28.
- Donate to charities & organisations that will speak out on your behalf. Loads to choose from including Extinction Rebellion, Just Stop Oil, Greenpeace, wildlife charities such as the Wildlife Trusts etc.
- Explore Chris Packham’s High Court challenge of the UK Government’s slow down on climate action. Chris is raising funds for the court case at Is the Prime Minister a Climate Leader or a Climate Loser? (crowdjustice.com)
- Speak or write to your elected representative. They need to know what concerns their constituents. Take a look at the great material at https://www.nonewoil.com and https://www.restorenaturenow.com (relevant for those living in the United Kingdom)
- Join groups who will help amplify your voice. Yes, that’s us, The Green Runners!
- Talk to family, friends, work colleagues, the delivery person…anyone who will listen.
- Join your work’s sustainability group.
Oh, and share your thoughts with us on social media. You could start by sharing our blog 😉